Are you unsure of what you need to take to university, while your mum is trying to sneak a slow cooker into your suitcase? You don’t need it by the way. I promise that you will never cook anything in that slow cooker.
Going to university is both exciting and daunting – but figuring out what to bring is a challenge in itself.
I planned exactly what I needed to take. But there were some things that I did not even think of taking!
So, here are seven things you will need, from a university student:
1. A door stop. Doors in university accommodation will generally not stay open by themselves, so a doorstop is vital. It will help with socialisation, especially when you first move in. Your flatmates will be more likely to come into your room and have a chat – as your door will quite literally be open to them. However, if you are a person who likes to keep to themselves, simply let that door slam behind you.
2. Flip flops/ sliders. The worst mistake you can ever make is not bringing some sort of slip-on shoe to university. Floors are gross in general but add around six messy students to the equation, and it becomes unbearable to even think what is on the floor. Take it from me, walking around barefoot is a definite no.
3. LED lights. Classic fairy lights are boring. They are only one colour and do not even flash. Trust me, you do not want a flat party without LED lights. They single-handedly create the atmosphere and are the backbone of university living.
4. Speaker. Invest in a good quality speaker for those flat parties, chill nights and studying sessions. A phone speaker will not cut it!
5. Medicine. Unfortunately, when you go to university you will get sick, its the classic ‘freshers flu’. I cannot explain the science behind it, but there is no doubt that it will happen. And shockingly enough, not every illness can be solved by paracetamol. Do yourself a favour and stock up in preparation for those first signs of illness. Even if it is only a few throat sweets.
6. Deck of cards/ games. [Drinking] games are the best way to break the ice and bond with your flat mates or friends. It is fun and affordable and there are lots of games online you can find to play, you just need a deck of cards to go with it. Or you could even make your own game.
7. Mattress cover. Some say mattress, others say slab of rock. Whatever you call it, as long as you care about your back, then you need a mattress cover. You have only got one back, treat it well and don’t make it hate you.
Follow this list to ensure that you don’t miss out on bringing these essential items to university.
Be the first to comment on "7 Uni Student Essentials"