UGRFC 1s v Hartpury 3s match report

UGRFC made the short trip to Hartpury University this afternoon with the hope of making it two away wins on the bounce, following their fantastic display against Brighton last week.

It wasn’t to be for the boys in blue who showcased their new kit for the first time this season, as they lost 41-25, but secured the bonus point with the last try of the game. 

Director of Rugby, Chris Downes praised his sides efforts, saying that they need to ‘turn a 20 minute performance into an 80-minute performance’ to get the results that they want.

Hartpury opened the scoring with two consecutive tries, after some quick attacking play left Gloucestershire’s defence open. The home team failed to get the extras, which was a theme for them throughout the afternoon as they missed four out of their six conversions. 

UGRFC pushed hard in attack when they had possession and got close to scoring on a few occasions, before Nic Cortes went over the whitewash for Gloucestershire’s first try of the afternoon, with fly-half Gavin Deane adding the conversion. 

Hartpury replied quickly with a try of their own after the restart, and scored again to get their bonus point try as half time loomed. UGRFC took a successful penalty kick through Deane after Hartpury were caught offside. The three points closed in on the home sides lead and left the half time score 22-10. 

UGRFC in their new kit

The second half saw a revitalised UGRFC side as they played with more tempo, offloading well and running some good attacking lines.

Fly-half, Deane scored the first try of the half, scoring in the far-right corner but just missed his conversion as the ball hit the crossbar. 

Hartpury responded with a try of their own, before Jake Allen scored down the left wing after some good phases of attacking play following a Gloucestershire line-out. The conversion was missed which left UGRFC just nine points behind the home side.  

Hartpury extended their lead late in the last quarter, with Gloucestershire’s injury list growing. They scored the next two tries, but only converted one.

Winger George Sanderson, ran in UGRFC’s fourth and bonus point try, much to the delight of the traveling support who made the trip over. The conversion was just wide by Lucas Town, leaving the final score 41-25. 

UGRFC now have a break from fixtures over the Christmas holidays, before two must win games welcome them back to Prem B. They face Exeter 3s away and then welcome Portsmouth 1s to Plock Court a week later.  

Be the first to comment on "UGRFC 1s v Hartpury 3s match report"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.