RUGBY UNION – MENS 1st XV v Southampton (A)

On Halloween, University of Gloucestershire men’s 1st XV fell to their first league defeat of the season, 42-24, away to University of Southampton.

Southampton opened the scoring with an early converted try, before UoG hit back with five points of their own. The hosts went on to score another three converted tries in the first-half, without response, and both teams went into the break with the score 28-5.

The home side registered another two converted tries in the second-half, before a late resurgence from the visitors saw them earn a losing bonus-point – the match finished 42-24.

Next up for Glos is Cardiff 3rd XV (Medics) – on November 7th – at Oxstalls Sports Park.


On Wednesday, UoG travelled to Eastleigh in their third consecutive away league game to take on University of Southampton 1st XV, hoping to extend their winning run in BUCS Western 1 A to three games – but their campaign got off to a disappointing start – as the home side took an early seven-point lead thanks to a dominant scrum and a great run from their fly-half, who touched down under the posts.

It was Glos fly-half Gavin Deane who answered back with five points of his own, following a well-read interception on the half-way he still had it all to do, but he outpaced the retreating home defence and crashed over in the corner. Deane couldn’t manage to add the extra two from a difficult angle and two points separated the teams, at 7-5.

Deane’s try was to be the only score for the visitors inside the first forty-minutes, as Southampton scored a further three tries. First it was their tight-head who crashed over from close range, then a neat bit of footwork from the winger saw him run in for five, before number-eight made it a perfect start to the game – sending the host into the break 28-5 up.


The second-half got underway, and it didn’t take long before Southampton were on the scoreboard again, as their centre found a gap in the UoG defence and ran in try number five for the home team. A flawless kicking display from the full-back continued and Glos took the restart – down 35-5.

Seemingly the away team were finding a way back into the game, as Euan Manley crossed for a try, which was converted. However, Southampton returned the gesture from the kick-off, crossing for what would be their final seven-point score – taking the totals to 42-12.

Inside the final quarter Glos showed their superior fitness, with another intercept try from Adam Hopkinson, before Callum Rivers-Cole crashes over for the consolation losing bonus-point.

The match finished 42-24. UoG return to Oxstalls Sports Park next Wednesday, as they host Cardiff 3rd XV (Medics).


Post-match comments to follow………

Be the first to comment on "RUGBY UNION – MENS 1st XV v Southampton (A)"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.